Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112062897

Being harassed for a tenants utility bills, Bournemouth,

Customer Question

Being harassed for a tenants utility bills
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bournemouth
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: they’re threatening debt collectors
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: tenants lived in property for four years
Expert:  Jo W replied 14 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question.

Expert:  Jo W replied 14 days ago.

Hi there.  Hopefully I can help.  I am not sure what your status is - are you the landlord of the property?

I assume that whilst the tenants were there they were responsible for utilities and paid these separately.  If so the bills would have been in their names.

I have experienced a similar thing - debt company chasing for prior occupier's debt.  I strongly recommend that you use the contact details you have and contact the company and explain you were not in occupation of the property and have never had a contract with them, you can pass on the tenant's details if you have them.   I would then follow this up with a letter recording the conversation and confirming that you do not have any liability for the debt and if they pursue you you will vehemently defend any claim.

This guidance is based on the information you have given me and you may need to amend it to suit your circumstances.  I trust that this has been helpful today, do let me know if you have any further questions and I will try to help.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good morning Jo
Yes I’m the landlord! Haven’t lived at that address in over 9 yrs
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The management company have known the tenant has been in place for this amount of years which he is under a tenancy agreement with a local agent yes they decide to ignore this and still chase me personally basically saying that I owe this amount and I need to claw the debt off my tenant
Expert:  Jo W replied 14 days ago.

In which case, I think it is worth putting down in writing your position - no contract with the utility supplier - they are aware of this - you willl bring this conduct to the Court's attention if they do not desist from suing a debt which they know is owed by the prior tenants.  You could also ask them for the documentary evidence which links you to utility Co X.  Just for info, should they try to pursue via the Courts (which I don't think they will), all of this correspondence can be disclosed in your favour.

I trust this has helped somewhat, do let me know if you have any further questions although please note that I am going off line now.