How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 28987
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I moved down to Wales for work purposes only, and the

Customer Question

Hi I moved down to Wales for work purposes only
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: and the council have asked us to pay 4,700 in tax but it’s the company who own the property wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: ive asked the company to pay the tax but there taking their time they also gave our contacts to the council without our knowledge
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: and put our names on the house and not the company Think that’s all
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine what a difficult position it must be. I will certainly try to clarify your options.

  1. may I clarify please, are you renting the property from your employer or have they provided the property as part of your employment contract please?
  2. I assume I might to understand that you are living in the property?
  3. assuming this is the case, is the council tax demand in relation to the period in which you have lived at the property?
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms the person responsible for council tax will be in order of priority, a tenant or occupier or the owner of the property. Accordingly, if you rent the property and occupy it as tenants, then from the point of view of the council, you would be liable for council tax. You will be able to pass on those costs to your employer if you're tenancy agreement or employers contract provides that the employer will cover the cost of such council tax as part of your agreement.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me