How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23515
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I have pet insurance for my 10 year old dog. The insurance

Customer Question

I have pet insurance for my 10 year old dog. The insurance company has always paid the claims for the last 6 years. They have no days that because of an error in their underwriting I should not have been re-imbursed
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my dig had a record of having a pain in her shoulder before we had taken out the insurance. This record was 7 years ago, she now has arthritis in her foot and they are saying this not covered any more but there was no exclusion on my policy
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed

getting back to you.

There doesn’t need to be an exclusion in the policy but pre-existing conditions are not covered usually.

Sometimes, a pre-existing condition is deemed to have ended if it has been symptom-free, with no treatment, for a number of years and that number of years varies.

What the insurance company now seem to be saying is that the pain in the foot is linked to the pain in the shoulder and hence it’s pre-existing and that’s why they will not pay.

If they steadfastly refuse and you believe that they should pay up , in spite of what they say, make a formal complaint in writing and if that doesn’t work, make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman service.

There is a process that you need to go through although you can phone them, you will need to put everything in writing

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

It is my pleasure to assist you.  Please come back to me if anything else needs clarifying.  Kind regards