UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

When buying a freehold house, can the developer (who has now

Customer Question

When buying a freehold house, can the developer (who has now gone into liquidation) charge a ground rent?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: The ground rent has been highlighted in the searches
JA: Where is the freehold located?
Customer: hertfordshire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The care provider and NHS are buying the property for my son, who has specialist care needs and Autism, but they have been made aware of this issue 4 months ago and have been unable to resolve it causing a further delay. The commissioners will not sign off on the purchase until the ground rent issue is resolved. is it even legal to charge ground rent on a freehold property?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 6 days ago.

I am a solicitor.

A freehold is not the same as a leasehold, and ground rent is not payable on freehold properties.

Moreover, if the developer is in liquidation, it no longer legally exists and cannot do anything, and can certainly not charge rent.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Can the freehold and leasehold be merged at completion?

Yes, if they are one and the same person/entity, the freehold prevails and the leasehold falls away automatically.

All the best