SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Renting my "For Sale" property to a friend, tenancy

Customer Question

Renting my "For Sale" property to a friend, tenancy agreement ended end March and I wrote an End of Tenancy Notice end of February.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Only a End of Tenancy notice end Feb, for end March. Then gave them a month Periodic tenancy.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: How much notice currently legally do I have to give please? No you are first although registered with Rent Smart
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The property is for sale which part s why I let them use my house as they were homeless, now don't want to leave
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 10 days ago.

Good afternoon, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

It depends on what type of tenancy you gave them. If you somehow gave them an Assured shorthold tenancy then notice period under the current covid regulations is 6 months and you would need to serve them with a section 21 notice. If you gave them a different type of tenancy or if you gave them a licence then please feel free to send me follow up details and I will be glad to guide you further. All the best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The assured tenancy ended march 21, notice to end tenancy end February 21. Then I gave a one month Periodic tenancy for this month, so what date does the notice take effect?
Thanking you.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry in hairdresser!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
6 months from today?

You would need to have given a valid section 21 notice and therefore you would have to issue a new one  giving 6 months. However as you are friends perhaps your friend will still leave as agreed, this is to cover your self legally.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thankyou

You are welcome