james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I booked my flight from the UK to the US and had to cancel

Customer Question

I booked my flight from the UK to the US and had to cancel in November 2020 due to the pandemic. Have been waiting for a refund for more than 6 months. The excuses are the same; due to pandemic they have a backlog. They are processing my request. Nothing. What legal right do I have to pursue them? Best course of action?
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: London. I don't know where the company is based, but they are online flight agency who deal with several airlines. Booked early 2020, rescheduled for November and was unable to fly. Aer Lingus from Heathrow to Dublin and onwards to Wash DC and back. They asked for a "top up" when I rescheduled.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Called and emailed at least monthly.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: This is their latest email, "We are extremely sorry for the delay in refunding. Due to the lockdown our most of the staff in refunds are on furlough but we have kept your booking on high priority and we will get the refund sorted soon"
Expert:  james bruce replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Sorry to hear of the long delay.

You are one of many being taken advantage of by these travel companies.

You should have received a full refund months ago.

Therefore, to move this forward, you need to send them an official “letter before claim” letter. This letter sets out in detail you claim against them, the amount and will give them a date to refund by, or legal recovery action will commence against them at court. You would then start a money claim against them at court. That can be done on line.

The link here will take you to the money claim online.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

I will attach a template letter you can send them.

The template letter is here.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you very much, James. It appear that the company is UK based (Wembley and Glasgow). Who should the letter be addressed to? In other words, what is the 'office', department or their position?

I would send it to either the accounts or legal department, or in fact send it to both.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.