How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2610
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I am a victim of domestic abuse and i just left my ex wife's

This answer was rated:

I am a victim of domestic abuse and i just left my ex wife's house i dont feel alright she absolutely destroyed me emotionally and mentally and we are separated now i want to settle in the uk by reporting domestic abuse to the home office i started the application already but they asked about my passport which is still already with the home office and its expired now as well so I need help i dont know how to complete my application and what to do to take my rights
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does she live in?
Customer: No i dont , she lives in Berkshire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thanks i will wait your answer
Thanks for your patience and enquiry.
I am sorry to hear what has happened with respect to yourself and your ex wife. You are able to apply for leave to continue to reside in the UK on this basis. It is envisioned though that you would have a copy of your passport in order to apply. You would be required to apply or rather ask the home office to return the documents in order for you to use it to switch. I however would recommend awaiting its return from the home office and then applying to switch the basis of your stay on the basis of the domestic abuse.You will also need to apply for a new passport. This can be done through your consulate office in the UK. You will need to check with your consulate whether a copy of your old passport will be needed in order to facilitate this.
Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.
I am stepping away from the system now. If there are any further questions I will respond when next I am online. If there are no further questions, Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again. Have a great day.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks very much i have another question , she never hit me or abused me physically so i got no doctor reports or no pictures its all about my feelings and emotions because she used me and i was sleeping all the day trying not to see her sometime i used to be in the kitchen doing something and looking behind me imaging that she's standing behind me and giving me that look every time i tried to tell her that i am sick or i feel not good she was saying you such a baby you milking it , she never respect me and in the beginning she used to be rude to me or she have done something to me she used to come and say the she's sorry because she was a bitch and she's not gonna do it again and loads of unrespectful stuff i just want to now if what i am saying is enough to be a evidence , and i had a lot of panic attacks and she wouldn't do anything about it she used to let me clean the washing for every body even her son who's 21 and if i asked to her to do me anything she was saying do it yourself i am not your slave and a lot of stuff like this that i have been suffering from but i didnt want to finish my marriage and destroy my house i was supporting to her and her children all my money i used to get i was buying them food and asking if they need anything then she started to say that its not working for her and she want me out this house and she said we gonna separate and i said to her why she said that she puts her needs first and the needs of her children and she always mentioned that she's not getting benefits of this marriage

Domestic abuse is not limited to physical abuse. Emotional abuse is also considered. However, you will be asked to demonstrate what was done that amounted to abuse. If you have records of having spoken to a counsellor or sought therapy for it that helps.

ReadyLaw and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for your answers