SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

My question is if a caravan manufacturing company charges

hi my name is ***** ***** question is if a caravan manufacturing company charges vat at standard rate on a touring caravan when the caravan is zero rated is it a miss sell a definitive legal answer is required please.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: leeds uk.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: zero
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no but answer must be statute legal thank you.

Good evening, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and I have been asked to review your question for you. Essentially, Zero-rated means that the goods are still VAT-taxable but the rate of VAT to be charged to customers is 0%. The touring caravan seller therefore would still have to record the zero rated sale  in their  VAT accounts and report them on the  VAT Return. Now if your seller actually charged the standard vat of 20% or any other sun above 0% it would amount to misrepresentation and the customer can request an immediate refund. If the seller is disingenuous and was doing this for financial gain it is very likely in their books they would still record sale at zero rated and the 20 % is pocketed. Where a customer will have difficulty is if the invoice just states including vat and not state what rate, they could maintain that it’s the zero rate. Any clarification please do not hesitate to send your follow up question, always glad to clarify. All the best.

SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK