SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Several years ago EON installed a meter on my property. It

Customer Question

Several years ago EON installed a meter on my property. It turned out that it was the wrong one, an economy 7 instead of a flat rate electricity. I am getting problems with power suppliers, all insisting I am on economy 7 tariff. I realise that the meter should be changed. Who is responsible for cost,EON or my present supplier?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: shotgate,essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: It is just an ongoing argument with successive suppliers and to date I do not who to make responsible
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 14 days ago.

Good evening, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewed your question for you. If the meter was changed by EON as part of provision of the service to you at no charge and the meter is not faulty but only that it is not the meter that you wanted and is not suitable for your needs then your new supplier should replace it and meet the cost. Meters should be changed around every 10 years so depending on what you mean by several years it may be due a change anyway. Your new supplier should change it and meet the cost. If you paid for the fitting when EON installed it and they gave you the wrong meter then that's different you can insist on them meeting the cost, hopefully its not over 6 years ago when it was fitted as it would be subject to limitation otherwise.

Any clarification please do not hesitate to send your follow up message. All the best.