Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I was wondering if you could help me? I recently told my

Customer Question

Hello, I was wondering if you could help me? I recently told my management at work that I feel physically threatened by another colleague and I got suspended from work for it? Is this legal? Many thanks Nick
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I have a meeting with them next week, but I put in a grievence due to threatening behaviour from colleagues but I got suspended
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am employed by Sodexo I work for them, I don't belone to a union
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The person in question has mental health issues and management are aware
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

How long have you worked there for? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello Ben I have been with Sodexo for 3 years now
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Thank you. What are the grounds for suspension?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
They told me that because I feel physically threatened I'm on suspension for my own safety
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. These are not valid grounds for suspension. There is a thing called medical suspension but that is if someone is medically at risk by being in work, it does not apply to people who are generally at risk or shoe health and safety is jeopardised. It should be the other way around – the alleged perpetrator should be potentially suspended, whilst the employer investigates and decides if these allegations have any merit.

You should challenge the suspension if you do not agree with it and that can be done informally to start with, or via a formal grievance if needed. Remind the employer they have a duty of care to protect your health and safety at work and that does not involve suspending you when the alleged perpetrator is free to continue as normal.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thankyou Ben much appreciated
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best