SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

I have a simple contract question, London, None, The

Customer Question

Hi, I have a simple contract question
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The question is about activities covered before the start of a contract
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My friend and I are starting a side business before we graduate from university. We do not expect to make money from this, it is just for fun. I have signed a contract for a graduate job offer, starting on August 9th and was wondering whether this business would be covered under the Intellectual Property section
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 15 days ago.
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.All employment contracts normally have an IP clause that states that any idea you have in the course of business or that is relevant to the business will belong to the business.You can however negotiate that clause out. If your side business is different to the companies business and you start it before you start at the company then the company will not likely have any IP rights.Kind regards
S