james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I signed a renting contract for a 3 bedroom house with two

Customer Question

Hello. I signed a renting contract for a 3 bedroom house with two of my friends last November, the contract is until the end of March 2022. I moved outside of the UK in January for personal reasons and I kept paying my rent but now I know I'm not coming back and I don't want to pay for one more year. I cannot seem to find a substitute to take over my contract. Is there a way I can receded from my contract (in a way that my friends will not pay my share? Which is not fair for them)
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
I am sorry to hear that you had to leave.

Unfortunately, as you entered a joint tenancy agreement, this means all the tenants become solely and jointly liable for the rent.

If you fail to pay the rent, then the other tenants become liable for the payment. They in turn can sue you for the non payment.
The only way to be excused from the contract would be if all parties agree. The tenants clearly would, but unlikely the landlord will as he would be loosing out on rent.

So therefore the tenancy would remain as is with the liability as it is unless you can of course find a suitable replacement.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.