12826847

Having issues with a customer wanting money back for a job

Customer Question

Having issues with a customer wanting money back for a job I’ve done
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Colchester essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve gone back to the job several times and sorted problem areas but more are happening and I can’t fix something that’s beyond my control
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’ve completed a job last year, exterior redecoration of wooden windows, conservatory, fascias and soffits. We completed the work to are usual high standard using all trade products. However there have been some problems areas. On the conservatory the joints opened up in high heat. This can’t be helped it’s the nature of the materials to do this. I went back and sorted this, also on the window the person who fitted the windows seems to have used a putty that stays tacky I had to cut out old putty that I could get to and seal around all windows, however again when hot this putty gets soft and oily making leading to opening up on windows. I’ve got back a couple of times for this and I’m fighting a loosing battle. I’ve been sent photos of other cracks and 95% are all where one timber meets another, Again shrinking and expanding. Ive admitted ignores his last attempts of contacting me it’s bringing me down and now it’s getting worse he wants the full cost refunded as some decorator has done there and made up lies saying I’ve paired over silicone that’s a definite no. Also said bad prep. another no, we go above and beyond on our prep work so this isn’t the case. I beleve a lot of the problems are from this putty and a oil being released. And the others are expanding of joint.
I’m sorry of this is a bit all over the place I’m just trying to get it all out there for you to read.Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

OK, has she already paid?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
all paid last year
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Thank you. If they have paid then you can just refuse to entertain any more of this and invite them to see if they disagree. If they do think they have a case then they can sue you at the Small Claims Court

The reality is that there is no point in trying to negotiate with them. If they refuse to be persuaded then you will have to invite them to pursue this at court and get a final decision on the point. You will be able to defend your case and the owners will be upon them to bring the claim

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Can Iclarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
1
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
2
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
3
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
4
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
5
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
6
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
7
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
8
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
9
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
10
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
11
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
12
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
13
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
14
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
15
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
16
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
17
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
18
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
19
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This is what I’ve had so far front he solicitor, sorry for all the pictures not sure how else to show you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Did you want to know something else?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’d like to know what I should do now in response to these solicitor?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Should I say take me to court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Like I said, just refuse to pay and invite them to sue

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok. If they go though with the sue. Is this something I can call upon you for help for?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Whats the total amount?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
There asking the full quote amount which it 4208
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But that’s including other added work that’s would have nothing to do with decorating. My initial quote was 3885
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

In that case, you don't need a solicitor. This would be a Small Claims Court sum and you can deal with it yourself at no extra cost

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Would I not be in a better position if I had a solicitor. As they have one?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

Not really.

And anyway, you can but it will cost.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok. I’ll try that. I’m sure you can appreciate I’m just a little worried they have one and I don’t. Not sure if that will be in there favour
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

Yes, I understand but the chances they will sue are very low.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

Good to talk to you.

No problem.

All the best.

Hopefully,I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Ifanything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. Inthe meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

Welcome