How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3048
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

Does my 17 year old daughter need permission from ex partner

Customer Question

Does my 17 year old daughter need permission from ex partner ( daughters mum ) to holiday abroad with her friend in the USA. My daughter has lived with me for a few years after Social Services asked could she live with me as mum has a long term drink problem.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: We live in the UK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Our daughter went to the USA before on her own and mum and I got a notarised letter but her mum and mums side of the family tried to make things as difficult as possible. I wondered if just my name could be put on the letter when I visit the notary
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 14 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  If the daughter has your consent, then it is up to the airline if they wish to allow her to travel if you have residency.   However, if there are any court orders I place, or guardianships etc. then there may be provisions in there which will require the other parent's consent.  However, if there is a court order then you will want to check this.  If the Social Services are involved then you can inform them of the position and unless there is any objection then there should not be an issue with this.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Many Thanks have a great weekend
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Thank you I wish you all the best.