Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have been quoted by private courier in the United States

Customer Question

I have been quoted by private courier***@******.*** in the United States to send a Winning cheque from the United States to the U.K where I live for £1000 this can't be right ?is it a scam ,how much should it cost?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

The facts indicate that this is absolutely a scam, specifically the type known as ‘advance-fee fraud’. That is because the victim is asked to make advance payments before anything they have been promised materialises.

As there are numerous variations of such scams, the best way to explain how they work is to identify certain 'red flags' which are often present in their build-up. The following are the most common ones:

- Someone contacts you and promises you a sum of money. You are unlikely to have ever been involved with the persons/organizations concerned so it would be unexpected

- Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you are asked to pay a sum of money. There are various reasons quoted for this, such as taxes, clearance fees, administrative costs, legal fees, etc. This is where the advance payment part of the scam comes in. Paying $1000 for shipping, even the most secure, is a ridiculous amount and clearly just a random figure they have chosen to try and scam you with

- Tempted by their promises, the requested fees are paid in good faith.

- However, once the money has been sent, the fraudsters either stop all contact and run away with your money, or they return and ask for further fees for different, often unexpected, reasons

In summary, if an unknown person contacts you out of the blue and promises you money but asks you to pay them something in advance, whatever the reasons, you basically know it is a scam. Avoid temptation, no matter how good it may sound and remember the old saying – ‘If it is too good to be true, it probably isn’t’.

The key now is to not proceed any further with this. Cease all communications with them and certainly do not send money if asked to, no matter what they say.

In order to report this, you should contact Action Fraud (The National Fraud and Cyber Crime Reporting Centre), by calling 0300(###) ###-####or online: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/reporting-fraud-and-cyber-crime

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok go ahead
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Sorry our replies crossed

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

I hope you have managed to read it above