John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

I have the following question. The police caught me speeding

Customer Question

Hello.
I have the following question. The police caught me speeding but they were driving behind me, they didn't have any speed measuring device, or in such a situation they can prove how fast I was going. In addition, I received a letter in referring the case to the court after a month of committing the offense, and I read that after 14 days it is invalid, is it true?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hull, East Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: just inform me the case goes to court
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i think so
Expert:  John replied 10 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John replied 10 days ago.

Thanks for your message, and sorry to hear this happened. The "14 day rule" only applies to notifications received by post, and not when you are stopped roadside; in this scenario the police have 6 months to summon you to court so the court summons in your situation would not be invalid.

You will need to decide what your plea is when you go to court, and if you have a defence or not i.e. you were either speeding or not and of course, evidence is key here both for you and the police - who still have to prove you were speeding.

Expert:  John replied 10 days ago.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 10 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John