How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2251
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I told the police about previous abuse. They want me to make

Customer Question

I told the police about previous abuse. They want me to make a statement & go to court. As there are no witnesses, surely he'd win? What is the point in my going to court?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We separated, I've had CBT, lots of antidepressants & am now on the Freedom Programme (run by our local DV service). Hoping to get specialist counselling soon.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I refuse to be in the same room as ex. We have regular 'Team Around the Family' mtgs through school, due to our children being vulnerable (SN).
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can you briefly explain your case please?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He emotionally & financially abused me throughout our marriage. He emotionally & physically hurt our children. He reacted to our eldest behaving badly by coming to the house & raising his voice. She said it made her feel unsafe, & it took me an hour to calm her down once I got home, so I called 101.
They asked me about his previous behaviour & told me I should report it. They've now asked me if I am willing to make a statement, with a view to going to court.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. The police will look at all the evidence before them even if there are no witnesses and make a decision accordingly. There are cases that survive despite there being no witnesses. There could be other evidence such as text messages, emails, marks (if physical abuse) and your statement to the police. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!