Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I told the police about previous abuse. They want me to make

Customer Question

I told the police about previous abuse. They want me to make a statement & go to court. As there are no witnesses, surely he'd win? What is the point in my going to court?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We separated, I've had CBT, lots of antidepressants & am now on the Freedom Programme (run by our local DV service). Hoping to get specialist counselling soon.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I refuse to be in the same room as ex. We have regular 'Team Around the Family' mtgs through school, due to our children being vulnerable (SN).
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can you briefly explain your case please?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He emotionally & financially abused me throughout our marriage. He emotionally & physically hurt our children. He reacted to our eldest behaving badly by coming to the house & raising his voice. She said it made her feel unsafe, & it took me an hour to calm her down once I got home, so I called 101.
They asked me about his previous behaviour & told me I should report it. They've now asked me if I am willing to make a statement, with a view to going to court.

Hi, thank you for your message. Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. The police will look at all the evidence before them even if there are no witnesses and make a decision accordingly. There are cases that survive despite there being no witnesses. There could be other evidence such as text messages, emails, marks (if physical abuse) and your statement to the police. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!