Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I am in my last year at university and having difficulties

Customer Question

Good morning, I am in my last year at university and having difficulties in raising the total rent for my students accommodation. The outstanding amount is £1184. With my parents being financially affected by the lockdown I applied for an increase in Students Finance but unfortunately this was rejected. I have been in constant communication with the Landlord of the accommodation, advising of developments. I have also requested for a payment plan to which they have responded by advising that I should pay £592 over the next 2 months or they will be handing the case over to 3rd Party Collectors. As I cannot afford to pay these amounts please could you advise on who I can contact for some financial assistance. I have recently been offered a part time job and still have full intentions of paying the outstanding amount, I am just unable to pay it over 2 months.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Berkshire but my university and accommodation is in Birmingham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have applied for additional Student Finance which was rejected and have also offered to pay £100 monthly payments.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that’s all of it, thank you.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 13 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm have you spoken to anyone else about this matter?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have not spoken to anyone else about this matter

Hi, thank you for your message. Again I am sorry to hear about your situation. You can try to contact your local council to see if they can help with your rent. You can find your local council here: https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!