How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 18741
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I actually need help with my business shop’s landlord

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I actually need help with my business shop’s landlord steeling all the goods from me because I haven pay rent for the last 3 months
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Reading Berkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I spoke to him and he actually change the door it self to enter
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I gave him 2 months notice and the contract still in place
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi there
My landlord has stolen my business goods from the shop
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can someone give me a call please
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I payed 3 months in advance of £700 and per month and deposit total £2100 plus £580 to speed up the work he has to finish to hand me the keys for the shop in the beginning of the tenancy agreement back in 24/Aug/2018 to start on 10th/sep/2018
He did not finish the work and didn’t give me the shop until end of October
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I payed him all lockdown months rent even the business is not running
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I texted him in February 2021 to give him 2 months notice and see if he wants to buy any of the goods and sort the late months and deducted them from my rent he did not reply back to me and just entered the property and took everything
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The contract finishes in 9th/sep/2021
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for coming back to me and for the efforts you doing, I am willing to wait and if there is any chance for someone to hear more from me as there are a lot to tell about the situation and it’s getting real tens with him at the moment
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 7 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

Whilst you may owe arrears of rent, the landlord cannot simply come and help himself.  It’s theft.  It is a matter for the police.  I would suggest that you went to the local police station and reported everything that had been taken.  Don’t be at all surprised if they say that it’s a civil matter.  You will need to press the police because saying it’s a civil matter is a default answer when they can’t be bothered doing something or it requires work!

There is a process for the landlord’s to seize goods to pay for unpaid rent but there needs to be a loss of rent owing and there is a process which the landlord has to follow as you will read here:,tenant's%20goods%20and%20selling%20them.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Thank you.

Best wishes.