MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  20 years experience in Wills and Probates and Trusts
109551472

My father died in September. He didn't have a will. I am

Customer Question

Hello My father died in September. He didn't have a will. I am next of kin. I did all the bank stuff. They took out a credit card debt before sending me the final figure in his bank which was about 12K. I then split that between myself and my brother and sister. With my 4 thousand, I put 3 in my children's bank and gave my brother the other 1 thousand. I received a letter about a credit card debt from the Royal bank of Scotland in February and assumed that it was related the credit card debt that was paid in October. However I've had another letter today to say that£3500 needs to be paid out of the estate. They first contacted me 5 months after he'd died. I didn't understand the process and didn't know about this debt. What can I do? I didn't keep any of the money?
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: I live in Rotherham in South Yorkshire as did my deceased father.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: What do you mean? I kept the payment slip from the bank and my bank will show the transfers to my siblings
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  MarianC replied 14 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for your question, I am sorry to hear of your situation. You have a couple of options, you could contact RBS and inform them of the above, I assume the other card was with a different bank. Alternatively you could ask them what they would accept as a settlement figure, say offer them £1,000 and ask everyone to send you back some money. If you were unaware of RBS then you can tell them that they won't get too upset, it happens all the time.

Marian

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
They have waited for 5 months to get in touch. I won't get the money back from my brother and sister. Is there a time limit to when they can claim?
Expert:  MarianC replied 14 days ago.

There is no time limit but they can't sue you after six years. However, I would simply explain that you were not aware of the card, the estate had little funds and what there was has been distributed. It is unlikely they will pursue it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your advice
Expert:  MarianC replied 14 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** me again if you have further concerns.