How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4460
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

We payed a dept for a small sea boat Held rest of money back

Customer Question

We payed a dept for a small sea boat Held rest of money back till we seen it runing which we had to wait a few days fir that. We been to see boat it dose not work we ask for are money back to be told sorry we spent the money how do we stand to get are money back
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Isle of Wight
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we talk to him we text him
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.
When you paid the holding deposit, was it agreed that it would be held so as to allow you to check the boat out and would be returned if you did not continue with the purchase.?

Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.
Assuming this was the agreement, as you did not purchase the boat because it was not working, then you are entitled to your holding money back.

You will need to send the sellers a formal “letter before action” setting out what happened, the amount and a date to return your money, if they fail to do so, you can then start a small money claim against them at court, that can be done online.

I have attached a template letter that you can use, and a link to the online money claim.

I hope this helps resolve your problem, please come back if I can assist further?