Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

I have a question regarding notice of Periodic Tenancy, No,

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question regarding notice of Periodic Tenancy
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Wales
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 10 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. Please let me know what is your question regarding your tenancy and I will be glad to answer it.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello, I have received a notice from my rental agency. In email the date stated for end of my tenancy is 24 May 2021, but I received a letter, which copy I will post in here, in which the date is 24 June 2021. I am wondering if the letter itself is a bonding document and therefore I can assume that my tenancy should end on the 24 June 2021?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please note that originally my tenancy should end on the 24 May 2021, as it started on the 24 May as well.

Thanks for this. It depends. What was the term of the original tenancy agreemnt?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please see the file of my latest renawal. The tenancy itself was assured shorthold tenancy but notice says periodic tenancy.

So the tenancy expires on 24 May 2021.

They served you with the section 21(4)a notice on 24 November 2020 stating the tenancy will end on 24 June 2021. What did they say in their email? i.e. what date did they refer to in it?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
In the email from agent is says:"Hello Robert,Hope you are well. I believe you have been informed by our lettings team that the Landlord is looking to sell Yarrow Close and notice has been given to yourself which ends on the 24th May 2021. I am in the process of putting the property on the market but I need to call round to the house at some point to do some internal details and the Landlord has arranged professional phototgraphy to be taken."It refers to original tenancy agreement which would end on the 24th of May either way. It is confusing for me that in the formal letter it says 24 June 2021, but frankly, as I am in the middle of purchasing the property myself, that would be really beneficial for me if I could still be in possesion of the property until the 24th of June.

You definitely have a good argument to rely on the Section 21 notice as clearly the date is 24 June 2021 and it is binding on you and the landlord. Even though if it is a typo on their part. If you wish to stay in the property until 24 June it is important you respond to the agent and state that you are intending to stay in the property as per the section 21 notice. I trust this helps. Let me know if anything is unclear.