Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am having a dispute with someone who did my driveway. He

Customer Question

Hello i am having a dispute with someone who did my driveway. He did alot of work on the first week but since then has not been around more than a day. He persuaded me to pay more and more and have now more or less the full amount (although he never gave an invoice to start with). Every day he comes up with a new excuse not to finish the job. I need a legal professional to help me deal with them
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Uk berkshire maidenhead
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No steps taken. This is my first step
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There is lots of details
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I would like someone to help pursue my case with the driveway company who is building my driveway
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Thank you. What are you ideally hoping to achieve in the circumstances, please? Get some money back?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
either money back or and complete the job to the required standard.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

Whilst you can request that, no one can force them to finish the job so if they refuse to do so you would be left with only seeking compensation from them for any losses or extra costs incurred as a result of heir work.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome. There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.