How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ChrisB4147 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 128
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
ChrisB4147 is online now

A well-established plumbing firm we have had a relationship

This answer was rated:

A well-established plumbing firm we have had a long relationship with carried out work recently on our Rayburn stove and it subsequently blew up, destroying the Rayburn and causing damage to our rental property. Our insurance would not cover the property during a refurbishment. The company is close until the Bank Holiday. In the meantime, we took photos, contacted the company, and wrote a statement. Should we wait for them to do the right thing or should we have a solicitor get involve, initially, to deal with the company and protect our interests?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: We have not talked to a lawyer as the incident just happened on Friday. We live in London, UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We tried to contact the company but they were close until the Bank Holidays. Meanwhile, I did write a full statement and took photos.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Should I send my statement. It is about 1.5 pages?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (62T2STQ)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (LG1VS11)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It might be worth sending a photo of the Rayburn before the incident.

Hi, thanks for the question.  I’m Chris and I’m a Solicitor in litigation/family matters. I will be happy to assist you and hope to provide a full response as quickly as possible.

This is a question and answer service rather than an instant chat service, and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can.

I’m sorry to hear about the situation you find yourself in its sounds horrific. You’re right to give the company the right of response and rectification before getting a Solicitor involved. You have a duty to do that anyway before going to court (if it needs to go that far).

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know. If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

I think that you may have a claim against the company for not doing a reasonable job under the Consumer Rights Act.  If their poor job has resulted in damages to you, then there is a potential claim.  However, see how the company responds.  If it is not sufficient to resolve the matter then I would see legal advice to continue it forward.

I hope the matter gets resolved.

ChrisB4147 and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Dear *****B4147: The professional firm who had disconnected the Rayburn says it was not their fault that it blew up. The Rayburn was old (some 22 years old) and after examining the Rayburn said that it had apparently always been missing a thermostat or some such vital element. The firm in question had issued a Landlord's gas safety certificate in October 2020 and last serviced the Rayburn in May 2019. If the equipment was so dangerous that it might blow up unexpectedly, would they not have had to point this out during either the servicing or issuing of a gas safety certificate? If they were the same firm who capped the Rayburn to get it to work as a cooker only, would they not be responsible for the damage caused by the incident irrespective? Our insurance had been alerted to the fact that works would be carried out so had amended our coverage. They obviously expected professional firms to be insured against any damage they caused. But what if the professional firms did not take responsibility, then what?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
PS: I forgot to mention something which might be relevant. The owner of the well-established Rayburn & AGA plumber mentioned during the above visit that our G7 Rayburn was illegal because it did not have a gas switch-off mechanism or some such. He went on to say that since ours had been installed before the law changed, it was acceptable even though it might be dangerous. However, it would now be illegal for them to install it. Since the firm knew about such a defect in our G7 Rayburn should they have at least advised us of that before they carried out the procedure of disconnecting the Rayburn so this turned into a cooker only? In the circumstance, was it at all legal for them to carry out such a procedure? British Gas were not to know any defect in the Rayburn. But the plumbers did. In fact, their bidding for the job to install the boiler and radiators included the following: "Disconnect Rayburn so this turns into a cooker only." They were not successful in their bid because they were not competitive.

There is very serious concerns here by this company. My view is that they haven’t done it in the way that they clearly should’ve done. it seems that there is liability here for this company. You will need to see what response you get from the letter but if you don’t then I think that there is sufficient here for you to go to a solicitor to set everything out so that they can make a claim on your behalf. I think of the value of the claim is going to be quite substantial in light of the issues that it created.