JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I signed and paid for a timeshare exit contract yesterday

i signed and paid for a timeshare exit contract yesterday can I cancel today
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live inheswall, wirral UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: As far as I'm aware none we have just paid the amount
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They want a balance paid by 8/5/21

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

I am not sure if you were cold-called by the company you have paid. The legitimate companies do not do this, nor do they ask for large up front fees. You paid yesterday so you should have a an automatic 14 day cooling off period - you should ask them to cancel and refund you. If they refuse, ask why when under UK and EU law, there is an automatic cooling off period if you pay at a distance (online or by phone, etc). You should ask your bank if they can charge back the funds. You should not pay the balance by 8th May in my view.

Many others are in the same situation - there are a lot of mis-sold timeshares around and they charge exorbitant fees to exit. Ideally, a law firm who specialises in timeshare claims should be instructed to stand the best chance of getting out of this at no cost. I am not sure if you were subject to pressure-selling, though these companies usually do this - they invite you to a lengthy meeting and they tempt you to pay a large up front fee - typical sales tactics. If the timeshare was not mis-sold then you may be bound to the terms and conditions meaning an exit fee is payable if you terminate.

JustAnswer cannot act for you as this is an internet forum, not a law firm, but any of the following should be able to assist you on a no win no fee agreement (nothing to pay up front) :

1. https://www.lindermyers.co.uk/for-you/dispute-resolution/timeshare-disputes

2. https://www.oakwoodsolicitors.co.uk/service/timeshares

3. https://sarahwaddingtonsolicitors.co.uk

4. https://www.timeshare-solicitor.co.uk

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Many thanks for that.
I have one more question. I have 2 children who are currently not on the deeds of the timeshare. When my wife and I pass away does the timeshare stop?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No live chat is OK

Thanks, ***** ***** be considered to be personal property and therefore it will form part of your estate, meaning your children would inherit.

As it is a "deeded interest", therefore would form part of your estate

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok thanks

My pleasure

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Jim
In the contract it states I'm liaible for admin fees which is the initial £1600 can that amount still be refunded?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Also they made a statement that we could not contact or if we are contacted by the timeshare company to make no comment and discontinue conversation. any idea why?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
what if they refuse to cancel?

No, a full refund must be given. Quite how they arrive at £1600 for an admin fee is beyond me. I am not sure why they said that regarding the statement either. If they refuse to cancel - ask your bank to charge back the funds - they can do this as long as you are under 120 days from when you paid.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi again
On Sunday 02/05 I informed them I wish to cancel and have received nothing back how long should I leave it before I take action?

I would give it a week though if you use one of those law firms I mentioned, they could contact them for you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They say we may liable to pay for expenses requested by Grand Vacation Club including any sinking fund requests that have been requested

I think it's a ploy to scare you in to staying with them and paying the balance.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok I was going to write back and quote the UK/EU law cooling off period

Thanks, ***** ***** do that.