Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

I used rat poison in our garden shed in March 2021 and on

I used rat poison in our garden shed in March 2021 and on May 1 neighbour claims dog has been poisoned . Please advice.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No I have not filled anything
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No ,
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I gave them the empty box of the rat poison to take to the vet.

Hello, this is MarcInLaw and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I am sorry to hear about it.

Is it possible that the neighbor's dog accessed your shed?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
not at all , its always locked ,never had their dog in our property, but they said the dog must have eaten a poisoned rat.

First thing, do not admit any liability, ever.

The fact that you gave them an empty box of the rat poison to take to the vet shows your honesty and transparency. In the future, it may not be the best idea to do so. Now, please wait for the neighbor's first step - we need to see what they claims are (if any).

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
the neighbour is already claiming half of the vet costs from us .

On what basis?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
they stated that the poison matches what was found on the blood results, and it is being treated with vitamin K

Is your property fenced?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
it is all fenced right round and we have never had their dogs on our property.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
the fence is about 1.8metres high

Then you can consider rejecting their claims and ask how is it possible that they dog accessed your property? Secondly, if you agree to contribute to the vet fees, ask for evidence from the vet to support their claim. It all depends on what kind of relationship you have with your neighbors.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ok thank you very much for your advice . Am I allowed to use rat poisoining in my yard/ property.

Of course you are. Let me know how this develops. I am happy to help. In the meantime many thanks for using our service.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
definately
Customer: replied 5 days ago.