How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1862
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
John is online now

My landlord has increased my rent but I have a number of

This answer was rated:

My landlord has increased my rent but I have a number of issues with the property and the landlord, from harassment and bullying to deprivation of light and privacy.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Westbury Close Barry South Glamorgan
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. I intend to contact the council on Tuesday
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am desperate for help. I'm living in constant fear. I should maybe add that I'm a disabled wheelchair user

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Thanks for your message, and sorry to hear about this.

Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 provides for certain circumstances when a landlord has a duty to repair a property and, when they do not do so, damages or compensation can be recovered by the tenant. The landlord does have a duty to ensure that the home he provides is fit to live in pursuant to the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018. Fit to live in means that they are safe, healthy and free from things that could cause serious harm. If rented houses and flats are not ‘fit for human habitation’, tenants can take their landlords to court.

If he is also harassing and bullying you then you may take legal action against him. I would suggest you report him to the council in the first instance so they can look into this behaviour. If you ever need to take legal action you can either instruct a law firm which you can locate here

Or contact one of the organisations listed below who can assist you for free

We are Advocate

They match members of the public who need free legal help with barristers who are willing to donate their time and expertise in deserving cases for those who are unable to obtain legal aid and cannot afford to pay.

Law works

LawWorks is a charity working in England and Wales to connect volunteer lawyers with people in need of legal advice, who are not eligible for legal aid and cannot afford to pay and with the not-for-profit organisations that support them.

Law Centres Network

Law Centres deliver advice through lawyers and qualified caseworkers and defend the rights of people who cannot afford a lawyer.

I hope this helps and wish you well. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John.

John and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you kindly for your response. My issues are far too complicated to type on a text pad of a cell phone. Is there any way this can be discussed on the phone?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I realised too late that there was a £44 charge for this service, so I will not be receiving your calls

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer. You can contact our customer service here All the best.