John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

I was supposed to get married in the UK in November 2020 but

hi there. I was supposed to get married in the UK in November 2020 but we couldn't go ahead with the wedding as the original contract entitled us to 60 guests and at the time of the wedding we were significantly reduced.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I've referenced these links: https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/coronavirus-national-restrictions-movement-gatherings-and-businesses-no4-regs
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wedding-services-coronavirus-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds/wedding-services-affected-by-covid-19-statement-of-the-cmas-position-on-cancellation-and-refunds no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi there. I have been told by the venue that "… your postponement of the original date was done before the Country was confirmed as being on lockdown”. My understanding is that the venue is referring to a Country (ie. National) lockdown which occurred between March/April-July. In July the UK implemented local lockdowns which I believe we should be referring too. With this understanding I believe that the concept of the contract being frustrated is still applicable as the local area go Berkshire was not able to facilitate a wedding of up to 60 guests. Thus, venue not being able to conduct our wedding as per the original contract and the contract being frustrated
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi John. Thanks for your help. Please let me know how I can help you. If you would like to arrange a call, I would be more than happy to do that.

Thanks for your message, I appreciate it is important to you. Are you asking, if you would be entitled to a refund?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I guess im asking a few things really: would I be entitled to a refund but more importantly, would i be entitled to cancel the contract and go ahead with the wedding at any further costs?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
14. CONTRACT TERMINATION
The Hotel/Company may terminate his agreement forthwith on written notice in the event that either:
The Client/Guest enters into liquidation or bankruptcy, has a receiver or administrative receiver appointed, or enters into any arrangement for the benefit of its creditors
A part or all of the Venue is closed or rendered unavailable due to a cause beyond the Hotel/Company’s control, and such closure or unavailability render the Hotel/Company unable to perform its obligations under this agreement.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
5. CANCELLATIONS
In the event of any cancellation by the Client, the Hotel will undertake to mitigate its losses and to re-let the function room and bedrooms at similar rates.
The Client will be responsible for the loss incurred by the Hotel in the event that rooms remain unoccupied, or are occupied at a lower room rate on the date(s) booked. The cancellation charges imposed by the Hotel will therefore reflect the actual loss.
In the event of a cancellation the Hotel reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee determined as follows:
Timing of cancellation
More than 12 months 6 months to 12 months 3 months to 6 months Less than 3 months
Percentage of estimated revenue
0% 50% 75% 100%
Any postponement of confirmed business will be treated as a cancellation.
To safeguard against unforeseen cancellations, we recommend you take out an insurance policy to avoid disappointment.

Call completed. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
You're a star! Thank you so much.
If there is a link to give you a 10* review please let me know.

My pleasure, I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi John. Hope you are well. I was wandering if you are available to support outside of the context of "just answer"?
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
I have received a response form the hotel re. the wedding and I really feel that they are playing a bad hand. They are clearly not aware of Consumer Rights and and stating their rights to cancel etc. They have also referenced that they were aware of the pandemic occurring before we signed the contract which I feel (to your point) puts them in bad light considering they did not make any amendments to account for this.
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
An area I need to be 100% clear on is the following:
I have a signed contract with the hotel to have a wedding in November 2020 but as they are saying that I postponed the wedding to 2021, they are taking the stance that this new date is the legally binding date. I need to understand if this is the case or not?
I believe that the original contract needs to be referenced and we need to focus on the events that occurred and resulted in a change in date.