Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

Are you able to help with state pension questions? UK,

Hi, are you able to help with state pension questions?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: application submitted, but need to find out how best to start.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: that's it

Hello, this is MarcInLaw and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I can tell you what the rules are around state pension. Please let me know what is your questions.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello, I'd like to understand if/how my parents may receive state pension. They have had no NI contributions, but are happy to consider voluntary contributions if possible. Both are over 65

To claim state pension (full basic pension) your each parent would need a total of 30 qualifying years of National Insurance contributions or credits. This means that each parent would have to prove that they were either:

• working and paying NIC
  • getting NI Credits or example for unemployment, sickness or as a parent or carer
  • paying voluntary NIC.

I am not aware of a situation where an individual would be claiming pension solely based on voluntary contributions, but I may be wrong.

The good thing is if one/or both parents worked abroad in another EU country, and provided they have a regulated immigration status in the UK, they could speak to the International Pension office and find out if they can transfer these credits.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks you. They have worked abroad, but not in an EU country. They arrived in the UK in 2003 on a retired visa category, which meant they could not work in the UK nor make NI contributions. However, they have been a british citizen for more than 10 years now and both were born before 1952.
Is there any exception rules for anyone who was not eligible to pay NIC, but is willing to pay for the gaps now?

Thank you for this. This is worth exploring directly with the pension office. They do state on their website the following: "If you’re not covered by any of these groups but want a State Pension you might be able to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions.".https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility

In theory, this should be possible, but it is worth checking with them directly: Telephone: 0800(###) ###-####on their number or you can write to them: https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-centre

I hope this helps somehow. Let me know if you have any questions or want me to clarify anything.