How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 73393
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Is builder work for my house put plasterboard and plaster

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Is builder work for my house put plasterboard and plaster Now I have crack on wall And contact him and he don't won't repair I payed for him full price
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No paper
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Coventry
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes he told me is not intetest because somebody from him company put the plaster and I must contact to this men who put plaster I Tel him I take You and I pay You not this men who plaster the rest money
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I send fort him photo where is crack on wall and he told me not him problem and I must not contact to him more

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hello Ben
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
At You call me?

Unfortunately, I am not available for calls but others may be. I can only help online for now

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Problem is I contact the builder send him photo what's is problem on wall and he told me is not him problem because he not put the plaster
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
On wall
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
But I tell him I pay you not the men who put the plaster and I take You company the work
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is any chance to put claim on this company ?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Or any refund from the work on this gays? Because he answer me that not wright me any more

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

When a consumer enters into a contract for services, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that such services must be:

- Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it to proceed with the services in question. If there are problems and the trader cannot satisfy the above criteria, which are legally expected of them, the consumer will have certain rights

In the event of substandard work, the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, the consumer can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. That is something which should be negotiated between the two parties. However, if the trader refuses to resolve the issues, the consumer can consider getting someone else to do this and either deduct these costs from the balance that is still owed to the original trader, or pursue them for any extra costs that have been incurred as a result.

In order to resolve any problems that have arisen, it is generally recommended that the following steps are followed:

1. Collect all documents relating to the work (e.g. quote, contract, correspondence, etc.).

2. Contact the trader and explain your problem. Ask them to resolve any issues and set a reasonable time limit for them to respond (7 days is acceptable).

3. If the matter is still not resolved, write to the trader repeating your complaint and how you would like them to resolve the issues. Say you are giving them a final time limit of 7 days to resolve the problem or you will have to consider taking legal proceedings to recover your losses and any additional costs. This is also known as a ‘letter before action’ and there are plenty of templates if you do an online search for one.

4. If the trader fails to respond or refuses to resolve the problem, you could consider taking legal action by seeking compensation. Remember that court is a last resort, however threatening it can be a good negotiating tool because it shows you are serious about resolving this and may prompt the trader to reconsider their position.

5. Finally, make sure that you keep copies of all correspondence, in case it is needed in the claims process.

If you wish to take the matter further and issue legal proceedings, assuming you will just be claiming financial compensation, you may pursue your claim via the County Court’s online portal at

You may also wish to consider reporting them to Trading Standards, which you can do via the following link:

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi Ben Thanks for help the builder pledged to pay the repair costs on Thursday I will see him
so I will know if he is going to pay for the repair or if he wants to fix it himself

ok good, if you need any further assistance after that do let me know