ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

On a Sunday afternoon, I asked an NICEIC electrician viz

Greetings on a Sunday afternoon,
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I asked an NICEIC electrician viz "Allied Electrical" of Kings*****, *****stol to check my tenanted Bristol flat in the hope that he would give me, for £385, my statutory Landlord's Certificate. He checked, found five small defects and I duly paid. I anticipated he would call back and tidy away those defects for about £100 ish.. but he, knowing all about the requirement for landlords to have that Certificate said he would only come back and tidy up things for ..£875. Is there not an implied term in getting such a contractor that he would tidy up defects for the standard rate of ... what would it be £70 per hour? I think he is blackmailing me!
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I got his email a day or two ago and have been gently simmering since!! If I get anor electrician to do those five jobs.. then I will of course still have no cert!
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Think it is straightforward. I paid the first bill (for the failed test) straightaway and have, in April, been trying to get him back to tidy up. There is no animosity here.. I am keeping my powder (if I have any) dry!

Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I await your news. Bristol, 1610

He may be blackmailing you, but unfortunately there is no law stipulating that an independent contractor should charge a particular amount to complete work. He is at liberty to charge what he wants. You may accept what he is proposing or refuse it. You however cannot take any legal action against him for having provided you with what may just be an inflated quote.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I thought as much. Many thanks.

You are most welcome