ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I married in france in 87 and divorced in UK in 2000. My

Hi, I married in france in 87 and divorced in UK in 2000. My ex-wife is asking me to do the paperwork to divorce in France. Could you advise?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I haven t done anything at all regarding the French paperwork.Although I ve been living in UK for 35 years , I have made some debts ten years ago in France and she is about to inherit some money from her mother. She s likely to protect this money.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I ve been living in UK for 35 years, so I know I'm under Uk law.I 've ben living in West Sussex for more than 7 years
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just wanred to be sure this is needed to divorce in FraNCE WHEN WE HAVE ALREADY DIVORCED A LONG TIME AGO IN uk.Also how it works with my French debt? and with the money she s going to inherit?

Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

A divorce in the UK is recognised in France there is therefore no need for her to divorce you again there.

If there was a clean break order at the time of your divorce then there would be no financial recourse by either of you against each other. Meaning you would not be liable for her debts and/or entitled to any inheritance. If there was no clean break order then there may be circumstances under UK law where you may be able to make a claim for a portion/share of the inheritance.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.