How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2836
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

Living in U.K. for visa options for my EU gf who is pregnant

This answer was rated:

I am British and living in U.K. Im Looking for visa options for my EU gf who is pregnant with my child
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: None. I am British and in the U.K.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hi Welcome to JA

I am a UK Lawyer and will be happy to assist you today

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

When is the estimated birth of the child?

Do you have plans to get married?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No I don’t want that
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the baby is estimated to be due in January next year
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We have no plans to marry as of yet but will in the future

How long have you been in a relationship with your girlfriend?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We’ve been together for 9 months

I will set out the requirements should you wish to get married in the UK or decide to get married outside of the UK.

The requirements of a unmarried partner visa require you to have lived together for at least 2 years akin to marriage.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If we were to marry in Estonia where she is. Would that allow us to move her over to the U.K. to live with me?

She this would and is likely to be the better long term option.

In order to qualify for a UK Spouse visa you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that you meet the following requirements:

  • Your partner is British, holds indefinite leave to remain, limited leave to remain under Appendix EU or limited leave to remain under Appendix ECAA;
  • You are both over the age of 18;
  • You have met in person and are legally married;
  • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently;
  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently;
  • You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds;
  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;
  • You speak and understand English to the required level - A1 Listening and Speaking
  • TB Certificate

In order to demonstrate that you can be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds, you will need to satisfy a financial requirement.

The financial requirement for a UK Spouse visa application states that you will need to demonstrate that your Spouse (or both of you jointly if you are in the UK with valid leave to remain) has a gross annual income of at least:

  • £18,600
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
to simplify. If we get legally married in Estonia and I have appropriate accommodation here in U.K. and yes I am earning 20k salary. That would make it happen?

Yes and she passes the A1 IELTS Listening and Speaking test - she will be able to fulfil the Spouse requirement for her to come and join you in the UK.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That’s excellent. It’s nice to have a definite answer. Is there costs to get a spouse visa?

You must be earning annual income of at least £18,600 and be employed with the same employer for at least 6 months. If you have worked less than 6 months, but worked with a different employer in the past 12 months and earned the £18,600 - the financial requirement would also be met

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I earn 20k and have been in the army for 2 years

The cost of the Spouse visa costs £1,523 and £1,560 towards the NHS charge. The visa would be granted for 2.5 years initially and then need to apply for further extension before visa expires. After completing 5 years can qualify for ILR and then naturalisation as a British citizen.

It would also allow your wife to work, study, open up a business in the UK.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Brill. Thank you for your help. That’s all the information I need

Most Welcome and enjoy the rest of your evening

Lawyer21 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you