How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7856
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Before we get into it I have permission from the relevant

This answer was rated:

Hi there, before we get into it I have permission from the relevant parties to share specific details with you.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The incident has taken place in Gloucestershire England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Direct contact with the person I would like to claim against
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The issue we are having is my parents have rented a property, they paid in full for six months and they have requested I check on the well being of the property as they have gone to South Africa for work, I went to the property two weekends ago and I retrieved their belongings. The landlord was made aware they went back to South Africa and they could return at any time, I went to the property this weekend to check on the well being of the property to find the key in the keybox had been removed, I contacted the landlord and he said he is denying me access as I am not a tenant, I am on the guarantor and I have no legal right to enter the premises nor do I have any rights requesting a key. He then stated he has given the key to a contractor to preform work because I removed my parents belongings, which we did not disclose to him, nor did we grant him permission to enter the premises. He continued to say the contractor is preforming work (again we did not consent to this) and that he would deny not just myself but all of us access to the property, he also refused to refund us for the month's rent we have just paid and for the council tax and electrical bills. What steps can I take to claim against the rent paid to him and bills paid in good stead? And did I as a guarantor and a guest of my parents have any legal right to enter the premises


I am a solicitor.

Sorry to hear about this.

Do you have a copy of the tenancy agreement? If so, please upload it.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Thank you.

There is an obligation to notify the landlord of absence of more than 14 days, I see that this was done.

The landlord may refuse you access to the property, as you are a guarantor, and not the tenant.

If the landlord has access to the premises and is carrying out repairs to the property and has made it clear that he will deny access to the tenants, your parents, this implies that he has repudiated the tenancy agreement and a claim should be made against him for the remaining rent paid in advance and the deposit.

A claim may be made against him online at in the small claims court.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What can I do to stop contractors as well as him from entering the premises, there was no maintenance needed the house had all of the checks up to date, I believe he is renovating parts of the property due to a sale agreement that has nothing to do with us as tenants ?

I am afraid you cannot stop that from happening but your parents may claim that the landlord has repudiated the agreement and ask for the unused rent paid back to them as well as the deposit.

All the best

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Perfect thank you!

You are welcome.