How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawry Your Own Question
Lawry, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 205
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawry is online now

I have a county court money judgment of £13,000 for rent

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have a county court money judgment of £13,000 for rent arrears issued against an old tenant. I have been told that it is unlikely that I will receive any money. What is the likelihood that I can claim the arrears and can I enforce the judgment without the costs of using solicitors?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Windsor Berkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The case was in July 2019. The courts ordered possession of the property which I have back. I have been in contact with the tenant but have received no money for the arrears owed.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No


My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

I am sorry to hear of your problem.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I don’t want phone call
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No phone call
Customer: replied 12 days ago.

No problem.

There are various methods available to enforce a money judgment and none of them require you to use a solicitor.

If you go on the website Enforce a judgment all the methods and necessary forms and fees are available and explained to you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Does it matter the judgement was issued in 2019? Is there a time limit on the judgment has to be issued by?


There is no time limit on the enforcement of judgments.

If the debtor has no funds at present, you can wait to see if their financial position improves and then try and recover your money.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What happens if the debtor passes away. Can I claim on their estate?


If the judgment was issued before the debtor's death you can enforce it against the personal representative on behalf of their estate.

Enforcement can only be effected against assets of the estate.

By way of clarification you need to start some form of enforcement within 6 years of the date the judgment becomes enforceable pursuant to the Limitation Act 1980 although there is no limit to continue with enforcement as advised.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The reason for the tenants arrears he told that he gave his son in law an amount of money for a business venture which eventually collapsed, because he gave money to one of his children by way of son in law he also gave the same amount to his other two children. Could this help my claim?

The claim is against him and he used the money for something else and still owes it to you.

As long as he is alive your claim is only against him.

If he passes away you retain your claim against his estate and the assets it has at the time.

Lawry and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your help

You are welcome.

Thank you for using the service today.