How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2727
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I need some legal advice on a situation i had. A neighbour

This answer was rated:

Hello, i need some legal advice on a situation i had. A neighbour from a flat above me had flooded me a while back causing significant damage. Building works were covered by my insurance, however i had no content insurance of my own for the damage of personal contents. Should he be liable for my content as well even if i do not have content insurance of my own
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: My neighbour had rented his flat through an estate agency during that time, he still rents it with them. The estate agents or the council woild not provide me with any direct contact details with the landlord so i can try and resolve it with him, i have sent a list to the estate agents with the damaged items and value of items, and their responses vary from "i should claim from my own content insurance", "they would pass the massage to the landlord" or they would just keep ignoring me so not sure if i have a case at all or who to turn to
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Tower Hamlets
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: flood due to negligence as pipes had burst, no one either landlord or estate agents were able to come within 2 days, therefore i had to sit and watch an try to move things around while it was happening. Fire brigade came twise, opened the main door as they said they have legal rights, but they could not open the door rooms inside as they were all locked and by law they could only open the front door. Not sure if this information helps


Welcome to JA

I an sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

Did you receive any response from the tenant regarding your contents damage?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The only response i have had is from the estate agents who were responsible for renting the flat at the time. At the time of the flood the flat had been empty for about a month so no tennats at the time. The estate agents' responses varied from it is nothing to do with them, i should get compensation from my own content insurace, or that they would pass the massage to the landlord. They had not put me in touch with the landlord at all, so i am not sure if he is at all aware of the situation


Thanks for the further information.

It appears you have a nuisance and property damage cause of action against the landlord given the escape of water which damaged your contents.

Your insurer may have details of the third party insurer because your insurer will be seeking to recover their losses too. Further they may have systems in place that tracks the third party insurance.

Therefore contact them to see whether they have the relevant information. Once you have the information please submit your claim to them.

The alternative route will be court action against the landlord. The court action will be the value to replace or repair the damaged items caused to your property.

With regards ***** ***** route I suggest you consider instructing a solicitor commercial solicitor to assist you.

You can find a local solicitor by clicking on the link below

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe

Anthony Chendo and other Law Specialists are ready to help you