UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I'd like to create walking videos in UK cities upload and

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I'd like to create walking videos in UK cities upload and make them public on YouTube. Later I'm planning to monetize the videos to earn some revenue to be able to refresh or upgrade my equipment.
People and vehicles will appear in the videos as I'm walking and recording with my camera on a busy street but they have no role in the footage. Also No crew members only me walking with my camera recording streets, buildings.
Is this legal to create such videos in the UK?
Do I need to get permission from everyone of them?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not talked to a lawyer yet. I live in the UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing yet I wanted to ask this question first
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, I dont think so.

I am a solicitor.

Yes, you are free to do what you propose to do, please see this advice from the Met Police: https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/ph/photography-advice/

You would own copyright in your videos.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your answer. If someone approaches asking to remove them or blur their faces in the video I will do that of course. So Can someone -who appears in the video - complain about I breached GDPR or their privacy and sue me?
Also Could you please explain that 'You would own copyright in your videos' ? Thank you

As you are the "creator" of the video, you own copyright in it and can licence people to use it for a royalty or fee, if you wish to.

In a public place, you are free to photograph anyone or film them, there is no right to privacy in a public place. If you take their photo whilst they are in their garden, that is a different matter.

No breach of GPDR in a public place.

All the best

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your help

You are welcome.