Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

What are the principles governing whether a party may

what are the principles governing whether a party may recover economic loss arising as a result of negligent misstatement?

Thanks for the follow up.

I will review and return to you within 12 hours.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
thank you

Thanks for your patience.

Negligent misstatement relates to a representation of fact, which is carelessly made, and is relied on by another party to their disadvantage. It is possible to claim for economic loss arising out of a negligent misstatement where no contractual or fiduciary relationship exists between the parties, provided however, that a special relationship or a sufficient proximity exists between the parties. Generally, a special relationship will exist where the adviser knows that the other party is justifiably relying on him for his skill, expertise or knowledge.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe