james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

What can I do about people saying bad things about me on

Hello, what can I do about people saying bad things about me on social media
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: reported the tweet, and they deleted it and made the account private but I am still worried
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: is it defamation if it is not a statement of fact

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

What was being said on the social media site, was it true and accurate or was it all untrue?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It was an opinion
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Which was wrong (100% false) but it was an opinion
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do I only get one question?

Sorry for delay.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's okay.

As what was written was an opinion, and not a statement, it is far more difficult to establish defamation.
An honest opinion is a defence to defamation.

This form of defence is relatively new and replaces the previous defence of ‘fair comment'. The defendant is required to meet three stipulations to have an eligible defence of honest opinion, which are as follows:

The defamation must have been an expression of opinion

The defamation must highlight the foundations of the opinion

The opinion complained of must be that of one that an honest individual could have maintained, based on a fact that was in existence at the time of the publication.

If you believe this does not apply then you can of course take action. Defamation claims are very expensive to fight and individuals who try to and lose, can loose everything. Legal costs spiral and lawyers would certainly want payment on account.
Of course, you may find a firm willing to work on a no win no fee basis, but there would need to be a very good chance of success and a significant  sum as a reward for there work.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay thank you very much

Your very welcome. I have also attached a link to where you can find no win no fee firms just in case you decide to want to enquire if they would consider taking in the case. The following two links will take you to where you may find solicitors who can assist, on either a free probono basis or on a no win no fee basis. Very often they deal with clients who cannot afford to pay for legal assistance and for whom legal aid is not available. www.nationalprobonocentre.org.uk/finding-legal-help. The second is www.lawworks.org.uk

May I clarify  anything for you?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you very much you've been a great help

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.