How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7879
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My son has stopped me seeing my grandaughter and it hurts i

This answer was rated:

My son has stopped me seeing my grandaughter and it hurts i know she misses me too
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bradford west yorkshire
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have tried through my daughter but hes having none of it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I saw her last night at my daughters as she was having a sleep over and she didnt stop hugging me

Hello, my name is*****’ll do my best to assist you today and I’m sorry that you are going through this. I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please bear in mind though that this is an email service and not live chat and therefore I may not respond immediately.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information. You may receive a phone call request which is from the site, not me, and you may choose to ignore this request.

I'm reviewing your question and will revert back to you shortly. Please do not wait on line for a response, you will receive an email notification from JustAnswer to tell you that I have sent a reply.

Please be patient with me as I am generally assisting multiple customers at once! Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

I am happy to help.

As a grandparent, as you don't have an automatic right to contact, you have to file for permission to apply to court first. If you apply, the court will consider your connection (if any) to the children; the nature of the application (the reasons why) and whether the application would be prejudicial to the child in any way. There would be a hearing which you will need to attend you would have to persuade the court that there is a meaningful relationship with the child and that you benefit the child's life. The court will also weigh up whether if it makes a contact order, would this affect your relationship with the child's parents and any other family members who might object.

Before applying to court however, it's best to try mediation as this is normally a requirement of the court.

You can find a mediation service here:

If this doesn't work, and you do need to go to court, this is what you would need to do -

You need to file the C2 form for permission, along with the C100 which is going to set out the contact that you would like to have with your grandchildren.



Both can be sent on the same application and the court fee to do this is £215.

You can possibly get a fee exemption if you are on low income/have low savings. You would need to fill out a fee exemption form (

I hope that this helps. It's always so difficult when families fall out but the children should not be the ones to suffer and the court will promote contact if it is in the child's best interests.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court!

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For PLCLEGAL only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Thank you.

Take care and stay safe.

plclegal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter