How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3026
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My mum died recently, left a will, no property and £450,000

This answer was rated:

My mum died recently, left a will, no property and £450,000 in her bank accounts. Which form do I fill in, given that my dad died in 2004 and did not use any inheritance tax threshold. Can I ADD his to my mums for inheritance tax purposes. Thus giving her nothing to pay.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Merseyside, uk
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: all her paperwork, account details etc. I am her daughter
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She gave the house to us about 12 years. To and myself and my brother. we own it and have always lived in it with her.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Thank you for the question.  If the house is owned by you then it is unlikely to form part of the estate.  However what you require to do is start the probate process.  You can start the probate if you are an executor of the Will if not, the exacter will have to do this given the value of the estate.  It is advisable to have a representative do this on your behalf as it can be quite overwhelming if you are not educated in this area.  In terms of the IHT, this will entirely depend on if there was a transferable element or not.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 9 days ago. website says I must pay inheritance tax BEFORE I can start probate. How do I apply for the transferable element. What form do I fill in. This will reduce any inheritance tax that she may have to pay even to nil

Thank you for inheritance taxation you will complete the form IHT205, you can add on any unused transferable inheritance tax when doing so from the spousal estate.  I would not be able to tell you if there was any without dealing with the issue personally.

RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you