How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7836
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have a property abroad. My dad gave it to me before i got

This answer was rated:

Hi. I have a property abroad. My dad gave it to me before i got married. Now my ex is claiming he wants 50% of it. Saying my dad gave it to us as a wedding present. Which is not true. Ownership is only on my name. Is he entitle to this property?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Yes. I did. Form e
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Court hearing will be in Portsmouth
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. Only this. Thank you


I am a solicitor and will try and assist you today.

Did your dad put down in writing that the property was a gift to you?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
We just changed the ownership from him to me. All paperwork is in Czech language.

Is there a Deed of Gift or something similar, you may translate it into English.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I don't think so. Just some paperwork saying. Owner ....(his name) new owner .....(my name)
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It was done back at 2013. It is still showing my maiden name.

Thank you.

As a general rule, gifts by third parties belong to the person to whom the gift was made to, in this case you, and as you say, before marriage.

You have a strong ground for disputing your ex's claim to this property which was gifted to you and should not be considered in the matrimonial assets pot.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My ex is saying it was wedding present from my dad. But it wasn't. I owned it before the marrriage. There is a date on the paper. We never lived in that property. My dad is still living there.

Yes, it is up to you to refute/defend your ex's claim and your dad may write a letter making it clear that the property was gifted to you only before your marriage.

All the best

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 hours ago.
I applied for divorce. Got decree nisi. When can i apply for decree absolute? Financial side hasn't been sorted yet. But my ex is delaying as much as possible, and decree nisi is nearly year since issued. I have filled Form E on time. He got extension of month, which he didn't meet. And send his form E 1 month after the extension.
Is there anything i can do?

Please start a new question with your latest query as it is unrelated to your original question and a colleague may pick it up.

Thank you.