How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2500
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I need some advice please, we financed a van through

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I need some advice please, we financed a van through Leaseplan last May 2020 and in January this year the van has broken down and been sat at the dealership since, I have had endless conversations with Peugeot customer care and Leaseplan and I just want to reject the vehicle but it seems to be going nowhere. Peugeot dont have the part and Leaseplan keep wanting our monthly payments and we have no van (only a hire van they have lent us) can you help as I am pulling my hair out at rejecting this vehicle?
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Im in the UK and no I have only just got in contact with you?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Endless conversations with both Peugeot and Leaseplan to reject the vehicle since Jan
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No i just need help and advice

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, ok thats great thank you

Hi there,

Sorry to read about the issues you are having with your leased Van.

You have statutory rights under the Consumers rights act 2015. Consumer Rights Act 2015 implies a term into the contract that goods supplied under sale/lease /financed types of agreements should be of satisfactory quality.

In a Lease agreements, the finance provider owns the car throughout and allows you to use it in return for payment. Ownership of the car doesn’t pass to you but remains with the hiring company.

So, here Leaseplan have to look into the issue and get it resolved for you. You can approach the finance provider regarding the issue, they should mediate with the dealer to get the issue resolved and write to them that monthly payments would suspended till the Van is repaired and you can make full use of it.

If the dealer could not get the parts or have exhausted all attempts to repair the Van , then you have the right to reject the van under the consumer rights act.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for this advice, I rejected the vehicle on the 31st March with Leaselan but they are doing nothing about it and yet we still have to pay, what legal right do i have as i am getting nowhere
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We are still paying the monthly payment as do not want a default against our company, I am currently on the phone to them now as i was told last week someone would get back to me but AGAIN nobody has ?

Could you please confirm if it is your company that has signed up with the Leaseplan?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it is our company
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My husbands and mine

Assuming Van is for commercial work of the company?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it is a refrigerated van for food deliveries

Then consumer rights act would not be applicable here.

However, you can escalate your complaint to the Financial services ombudsman.

And to ADR (Alternative dispute resolution ) that finance company is a member of.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok so all i can do is contact the Financial Ombusman

And ADR, if the finance company is a member of.

You can approach court as well, for rejecting the van and getting compensation for the faulty van supplied , however firstly you need to explore all other available options, before approaching the court , as part of pre-action protocol.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok great, I have emailed the Financial Obudsman today and will get in touch with the ADR how will i find out which one they are part of?

The finance company can give you this information or it can be found on their website or marketing brochures.

Thank you.

Vineet S and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks for your help

You are welcome. Have a nice day & stay safe.