F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Manuel and his grandmother, Sybil, were on their way to the

Manuel and his grandmother, Sybil, were on their way to the park when a negligently driven minibus veered across the road and screeched to a halt, trapping them against the yard railings of the local Secondary school. Manuel’s injuries were minor but Sybil’s were devastating. Basil, an off-duty policeman saw the accident and tried desperately for some time to free both Manuel and the seriously injured Sybil, who was screaming in agony. Manuel’s friend, Marcus, filmed the rescue attempt on his phone and, once the emergency services had arrived and freed the pair, sent the video to Manuel’s mother, Ilsa, with a message telling her to go to the hospital.
When Ilsa arrived at the hospital she was told that Manuel had miraculously sustained only minor injuries but that her mother, Sibyl, was unlikely to survive such severe internal injuries. Over the next few days, Ilsa remained at her mother’s bedside as her condition deteriorated.Basil, Ilsa and Marcus suffer post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of their experiences and seek advice as to the potential for a successful claim for psychiatric damage

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

This is obviously coursework and we do not answer coursework for you because the idea of the coursework is that you do the research.  Further, to get the answer done by somebody outside would be a breach of the learning institutions rules and you could potentially be thrown out.  But I will give you a pointer here.

That is that there has to be a recognised psychiatric illness, there is going to need to be an expert report with regard to causation that the incident caused the recognised psychiatric illness and any claimant has to see the incident which caused the stress with their “own unaided senses”.  It means they have to have seen it personally, not a recording a video.

There is case law on that which you would need to research to support your answer.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES