How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13558
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

What happens when a company I have brought a case against

This answer was rated:

What happens when a company I have brought a case against change their name before court bailiffs cab visit?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: East Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have taken the matter to court on two occassions. The court found in our favour but no payment has been forthcoming. Recently we applied for a court warrant which was granted and paid for. Meanwhile the offending company have changed their trading name but remain in the same location and are headed up by the same named CEO.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: This matter started in November 2020 when we tried to negotiate with the three employees involved. After a long series of written communications from us we only recieved foul and abusive texts. So after warning the company we took the matter to the Small Claims Court who found in our favour. The outstanding debt is around £15oo.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

The court judgment would be in place and you can enforce any time up to 6 years - you mention a trading name, so presume you did not sue a limited company. You mention that the bailiffs have not visited them as yet. I presume you used county court bailiffs - they only have limited powers. For example they cannot gain entry to premises and seize goods - they are only salaried (unlike High Court enforcement officers who are paid by results and have the ability to force entry and take goods to sell at auction).
I would recommend you transfer the CCJ to the High Court (which costs £66) assuming th amount you are owed is more than £750 which it seems to be. They will visit and attempt recovery. If they encounter a problem then they will report back but I do not think they will, as you did not sue a limited company but a sole trader / partnership - so the CCJ should be valid still. It may be a situation where you will need to apply to the court to change the name on the CCJ to the new name - I can set out how to do this but I would try the High Court enforcement option first of all. This company can do that for you and they will simply add their fee to the total sum already owed :

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,