JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have just had a wetroom installed, I was told it would

I have just had a wetroom installed, I was told it would take 4 days but it has taken 10 weeks to do. Lots of delays and wrong stuff delivered. The floor took 3 days as concrete was very hard. Lots of other things went wrong to. I have refused to pay the balance of £7725. They have offered a refund of £175. I have refused this and said I would take legal advice
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: I live in milton Keynes. It started on February 8th 2021. It was finished one week ago
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have put in an complaint stating that I am not happy with the amount of time it has taken to do the job. Also I have been without washing facilities most of this time. I am disabled and have had to go to my daughter's to wash. My health and safety has been very bad.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have made a lot of notes about this. I had people turning up when I didn't know they were coming. It has been pretty dreadful. The workmanship is good though

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

You are in a strong position, legally speaking. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 applies - meaning the work must be carried out with reasonable care and skill. And the work must be done on time - 10 weeks is way in excess of the 4 day period they quoted you for. You can either demand a full refund but they would take the materials out - or you could keep it and demand a partial refund. It sounds reasonable to withhold the balance. You should make them an offer to reflect the serious delay and the fact you were without facilities for several weeks. £175 is not nearly enough - how much to pursue them for would in my view depend on what another company says - you could ask another company to ask for their view on what a reasonable sum would be. You can refuse to pay the balance - the company may want to pursue you but you would have a defence. In your defence you could make a counter claim. Or you could pursue them in a county court claim and see for a partial refund. It is difficult to say what you should do - they have offered £175 off but you could simply refuse this and not pay the balance. Then wait for them to take action. You have the wet room now - it would be worth speaking to the company and trying to reach a mutually agreeable settlement. You could use a law firm if you prefer or you could do it yourself. If you sued, they may make a counter claim too. I can tell you that you would have a strong case as not only have they breached your consumer rights but they have breached the contract too with taking so long.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks for your reply. I will consider this and get back to you later

My pleasure, I will be available later this afternoon, thank you

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Hu, I have spoken to family and am going to get in touch the company and ask for my deposit back, in the light of how long it took to complete. I will let you know their response when I get one. Thanks again for your help.
Regards Sandy

Hi Sandy, thank you. I'd be happy to help when they reply, speak soon.
Jim

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
That I will do Sandy