How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7875
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have been conned out of more than £2000 by a "friend" on

This answer was rated:

I have been conned out of more than £2000 by a "friend" on the understanding that he would repay me from a Tax refund due last Friday. He will not answer my calls. I can't afford a solicitor (OAP)
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Basingstoke
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am very broke and about to default on my rent, hence panic!


I am sorry to hear this.

I would suggest that you report your friend to the Police for fraud if you have been defrauded by him.

Fraud is a criminal offence under the Fraud Act 2006.

If the Police knock on his door, he may be tempted to repay you.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have. Ten told by police that they won't deal; class it S a civil matter

Sorry, I am unable to call.

You may in that case file a claim in the small claims court against your friend online at

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I hope my answer was helpful.

All the best