How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2472
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

My landlord doesn't want to give me back my deposit, In

This answer was rated:

my landlord doesn't want to give me back my deposit
JA: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?
Customer: In Witney, Oxfordshire. I didn't consult a local barrister
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I would need to review the ocntract
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Hi there,

Could you please confirm reasons given by the Landlord for not returning the tenancy deposit and have you left the property?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No reasons given, just pushes the date with excuses, I left the property in December
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry I left the property in January

Have you raised it with the Administrator of your tenancy deposit scheme?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Please, could you let me know if you can take my case, and how much would be? thanks

Your Landlord might have recovered it from the tenancy deposit scheme as it is already 3 months now.

Now you can claim it back via a small claims proceedings.

You can initiate court proceedings. it will be a small claim if you are claiming less than £10,000 from your landlord.

Before you start a court claim, you must send your landlord a letter before action, demanding back the deposit within 14 days.

If he still fails to refund your deposit, then you can start your court claim online using the below link-

You can also ask for interest on the tenancy deposit from the court.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Could you do all this for me?
How much do you charge?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
my emails is***@******.***

Just Answer is an information sharing platform in a Q/A format, not a substitution to full legal services.

you can find a solicitor for full representation using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you,

Thank you.

Vineet S and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you