How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2715
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

A housing association property has a leak in their communal

This answer was rated:

A housing association property has a leak in their communal toilet which has leaked through the walls of my elderly dads property. We contacted them in January and have had a number of promises to fix it but nothing has been done. The damage has increased significantly is spreading across a whole wall and has damaged flooring extensively. The housing association are refusing to repair the damage in my fathers property. My father is 93.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: This is in London - southwark
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted the housing association by email and have written a complaint letter. The sent someone around to check but have done nothing to repair the damage. They have made two appointments to access the property but failed meanwhile the damage increases
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: how much do you charge


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Is it the case the HA dispute that the damage caused is their fault or one the HA have simply not done anything yet?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They have not done anything yet to the problem in their own property as they said they could not get access. Since then I have contacted them and they made another appointment to access the property in April and I have not heard from them.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
At the moment I am unable to do the call option, I am waiting for another call to come through
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Are the HA obliged to repair the damage done to my fathers property?


Thanks for the further info.

It appears your father may have a nuisance and property damage cause of action against the HA given the escape of water which emanates from their property has caused damage to your father's property.

In view of this i suggest you seek to obtain the HA's insurance details as you can seek to claim via their insurance.

Alternatively you can file a claim on your father's insurance and they will get the matter fixed plus recover their losses from the HA's insurance.

Another route will be to hire a commercial lawyer to consider court action on your fathers behalf with a view of recovering both the property damage and your father contents damage too.

I hope i have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe

Anthony Chendo and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try to find out who their insurance providers are.

Your welcome and have a good day.