Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112062897

Can I be charged for a failed credit check by the lettings

Can I be charged for a failed credit check by the lettings agency?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Thatcham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been rejected for a property, due to a failed credit check and now the lettings agency are saying that I owe a weeks rent
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They say I'm liable because I signed an agreement stating that I will be charged if any information given is false. But I did not know that I had occurred a CCJ as I have not had a fixed abode for a few years

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question. It may take a little time to consider but it is being dealt with.

Hi. Whether thy can do this depends of the terms of the contract between you and the letting agent.  Do you have a copy of anything they gave you when you applied  - fee free to send it over and I can check.  Unfortunately if they have various clauses about charges then it may be that you have inadvertently agreed  to a clause where they can recoup fees.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Oh OK, I ask because I was informed by an inventory clerk, that they can not charge any fees, for failed reference check. Plus I unknowingly had no idea of my CCJ. But if your saying that me signing an agreement for them to do this, then that means that I am liable to pay? I can not find the form, but I remember signing for something, didn't realise. I am currently homeless until I find somewhere and signed in haste

I was just wanting to check for you.  I appreciate you have more important things to do.  If you have any other questions, do ask.   Good luck!